The combination of sex and pornography in a video game has the potential for explosive growth and has already proven to become so. In Second Life, it’s reported that there are over twenty million accounts with more than half of those being active gamers.
Two teenage boys, who played numerous hours in the game World of Warcraft, planned and carried out a brutal murder of an innocent eighteen-year-old girl. After luring her to an empty home, they sexually assaulted her and killed her, then dragged her body into the woods and set it on fire.
The brain releases a neurotransmitter called dopamine when a person experiences rewarding situations, particularly in behavioral addictions like eating disorders, sex addiction, addictive gambling and addictive video game playing. Dopamine is also associated with drug and alcohol abuse.
Parenting is a tough job in the digital age. We are surrounded by technology, video games, and cell phones. The key is to learn how to master technology, but avoid being slaves to technology. We must also monitor our children and be mindful how much time they are spending on video games.
Video game addiction can be seen in very young children. The more exposure to the addictive behavior, the stronger the addiction will be. Children may exhibit anger, rage, and irritability. The following videos illustrate manifestations of excessive video game play and likely video game addiction.
The On-Line Gamers Anonymous website (http://www.olganon.org) points out that some withdrawal symptoms that gamers can experience are very real and can be very extreme. I have experienced most of these symptoms in the height of my addiction to video games.
A 46-year old man attacked a 13-year old boy after the boy killed off the man’s character in Call of Duty. The teenager, who was playing at a home just a few miles, bragged about gunning the character down. The man was enraged and stormed into the home and assaulted the boy by grabbing and trying to choke him.
More Articles ...
- Social Element in Internet Games Amplify Addictive Potential of Video Games
- Why are Video Games More Fun than Life?
- World of Warcraft One of the Top Reasons for College Drop-outs
- Video Games are Digital Heroin for the Mind
- Humans Enslaved to Gold Farm
- Video Game Addict Son Shoots Parents
- Blending the Digital World and Reality
- Video Games Can Lead to Relationship Problems.
- Games target women to increase market share.
- Gamers help University of Washington scientists, solve decade-long simian AIDS protein folding mystery